top of page


Updated: Mar 18, 2022

If the relationship has broken down between yourself and the other parent of a child then you may need some assistance and advice as to how to organise with whom the children will live and how much time will be spent with the other parent. Alternatively, you may be seeking a shared care or 50/50 type arrangement.

These issues can be hard for the parties and due to the raw emotion that is involved with family break down and issues surrounding children, it may be best to have a Lawyer acting on your behalf.

We understand that this is a difficult time for you and our Solicitors are available to talk to you in an understanding and compassionate manner whenever needed. In some firms you cannot speak to a Solicitor, instead you are always speaking to a secretary or receptionist, this is not the case with our Solicitors. If you need help, we’re here for you.

If at all possible we would like to avoid matters going before the Court. Our Lawyers are skilled negotiators and would always prefer to amicably and quickly facilitate an agreement between the parties, in a cost effective manner, as to what agreement will be put in place concerning the time that each parent will spend with a child, or children.

If an agreement is reached then that agreement can be filed with the Court as ‘Consent Orders’ under the Family Law Act. This gives both parties security and peace of mind that there is an Order in place, that both parties must abide by. Breaching of Court Orders (even made by consent) is seen as very serious by the Family Courts and is acted upon accordingly.

In our Children’s Issues agreements there is always scope that after the agreement or Consent Orders are made the parties can agree upon whatever they like however, if agreement cannot be reached then they have the Consent Orders as a fallback position. Alternatively, if agreement cannot be reached then our Lawyers are skilled in all Family Law matters and will represent you to the best of our abilities in the Federal Circuit Court or the Family Court of Australia.

If there are significant issues in the matter then an Independent Children’s Lawyer (ICL) may be appointed by the court. ICL’s have significant powers of investigation and serve to guide the Court as an independent voice.

All of our advice is tailored to meet your personal situation and needs. Talk to one of our team today to find out how we can support you.


bottom of page